Whenever your gas furnace is on, carbon monoxide is being produced. However, there is no reason to worry. It is a natural by-product of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is operating properly, it is harmlessly deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is contained inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely pushed through the flue vent to the outside. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a consequence of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Taking in too much carbon monoxide prevents the body from using oxygen and can harm the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can affect anyone exposed to the gas, it is more risky for people with existing lung or heart problems, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and sustain a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s practically impossible to notice carbon monoxide is accumulating in your home. You may not know until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by pros, you should have it looked at. The experts at Hopper Heating and Air can make sure your blower motor is installed correctly and that everything looks correct in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can build up if there are problems in those areas.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Annual maintenance is the best way to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly maintenance appointment, the experts will clean your system and check it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a good idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally monitored as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A stoppage of airflow caused by a dusty filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to regularly check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s instruction.
5. Always rely on professionals to fix your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be extremely hazardous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few precautions. You’ll always have the professionals at Hopper Heating and Air in Shelby behind you to help, too. Give us a call at 704-233-7363 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.