While winter weather seems like it’s already been going on for way too long, its impact on our heating bill is only beginning. Maintaining low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be a challenge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially lower those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to let sunlight in, heating your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Installing a programmable thermostat so that you can more precisely control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Trying to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do some of the smaller things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions about the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a buzz at 704-233-7363. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Shelby weather.