Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how often your air filter has been swapped out, to name some—you may need to have air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Hopper Heating and Air in Shelby about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the period of time between specialized cleanings.
First and foremost, schedule annual HVAC maintenance with the experts at Hopper Heating and Air. A service of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating efficiently, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Hopper Heating and Air about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters routinely and exchanging them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will show dust on them after a brief stint in service, but they may not require replacement.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that let dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Trading poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Shelby home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at Hopper Heating and Air a call at 704-233-7363.