Whether you enjoy winter or favor the warmer months in Shelby, most of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a big impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Assess the weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that should be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it must be switched out. We recommend at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can arrange temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. An expert at Hopper Heating and Air can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Hopper Heating and Air in Shelby a call to get started. Give us a shout at 704-233-7363 or schedule an appointment with us online.